A Pair of Corsairs

First off, Microsoft/MSN/WindowsLive decided it would be fun to "enhance" the features of their site. As a result, nothing works like it did before, and I’m still trying to figure out how to do relatively simple things like resize a picture without losing its proportions. And, as an added kick, it takes about three extra steps to even get this picture into the blog entry. Thanks for another kick in the acorns, Microsoft. The next time you decide to "enhance" our sites, how about giving us the option of declining your Divine Intervention? Swell. I’m sure someone, somewhere is happy about the changes they made–and it’s not me. But enough about that…

As mentioned in the previous entry, I am currently working on a 1:72 Tamiya Corsair for a club contest in August. Since that time, I’ve started a second, much different Corsair. I’m attempting to work on them both simultaneously. The base of this second Corsair is a truly awful Testors 1:72 F4U-1 Corsair. It retails for around $5, but it should be "free with any purchase". The details stink. There’s no cockpit, and the panel lines are raised as opposed to scribed. In other words, this thing is perfect for what I’m going to do with it.
 
And that’s where we come into the artwork you see attached to this blog entry. This li’l beastie is a "Doppleganger" aircraft from the "Crimson Skies" universe. The picture was taken from their downloadable fan site development pack, so I don’t think I’m violating any rules by posting the image. Anyways, it looks like–based on the canopy–it evolved from a German aircraft, but this is a Corsair contest. Besides, the Doppleganger also features (or appears to, based on this single view) a gull-wing design. As such, I’m going to do my best to turn the bargain bin Corsair into a Doppleganger. So far, so good.
 
I started by gluing the top and bottom of the wings together (two pieces, as opposed to the four or more that make up the Tamiya kit) and them cutting the engine-holding wing at what I determined to be a good spot. I’ve also taken the engine section (everything forward of the cockpit) from a 1:48 P-40 "Flying Tiger" and am working on aligning that with the wing. It’s shaping up. I’m not quite sure how I’m going to close off the back of the engine, but I think I can figure out something. I’m more concerned about the nose section right now. I need to round it off. I’m going to take a piece of 1:72 WWI artillery and stick that in the nose for the big cannon, but not quite sure how I’m going to handle the little cannons yet. And then there’s the cockpit. Not sure about that, either. But there’s enough time left and I think I have enough creativity left to see this through. It’s probably not going to look nearly as pretty as my other Corsair, but it’s not supposed to. Just to keep them straight, I’ll refer to this little monstrosity as the "CS Corsair" in the future.
 
The other Corsair–the "stock" version–is progressing nicely. I have some new pictures, but haven’t uploaded them. I’ve applied the paint to the body, added the engine to the front, and attempted to gloss coat it last night. Unfortunately, the nozzle on the spray can for the gloss lacquer was clogged slightly, so it more-or-less "spit" all over the plane. I’ll try again tonight. More progress will follow.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: