So I’m still working on that Fireball. A bit. Actually, I only managed to get a couple hours in last (Monday) night. The rest of the weekend was occupied with more practical pursuits. I think I made up for it reasonably well last night, though, as I made significant progress.
Unfortunately, the way the model itself comes together, there’s not a lot of options to make sub-assemblies out of it. For example, to put the arms together, they must be attached to the shoulders–which are already attached to the torso. In order to put the lower legs together, they have to be attached to the upper legs and the ankles/feet. At least you don’t have to attach the legs to the torso prior to painting.
The seams have been difficult, and I suspect I’ll be going back and fixing some of them that I thought I’d already finished. There’s also a real tough set of seams on the back of the feet. The feet are made up of seven different pieces, and s short run of black wire. I think I’ve got it pretty-well sorted out at this point, however, but I won’t know for sure until I try to put paint on this thing. The upper arms are also a bit of a difficult spot for seams. First, the arms have to be adjusted so they’re horizontal–or perpendicular from the torso–and then you need to do the usual puttying & sanding. Just the shape of the upper left arm makes this a tricky task. I won’t know how well I did until I get some paint on there, but I suspect that it’ll be one of the seams I need to fix.
It was nice to put the entire body together last night–even if it was only temporary. The whole thing is really starting to come together. I’m not sure how many more nights it will take, but I feel fairly comfortable in thinking that I may be approaching the halfway point at the very least.
I’ve given some thought to the base, and I’m still not 100% sure what direction I’m going to go with that. I’m going to pick up some "diamond plate" styrene and give it a nice chrome color. That’s what he’ll be standing on. I am considering, however, using one of the 1:20 scale figures from a Tamiya Pit Crew set to add a second person to this set-up. Since the Fireball will be standing there with all his flaps open, it only makes sense that there’d be a maintenance person there to work on him. I don’t know for sure yet, but I’m keeping my options open on that one.

On a totally unrelated note to the Fireball build, I was looking at all the dust on my finished models last night when I noticed something bizarre… The styrene "tarmac" that was the base for my Doppelganger has warped. And pretty severely at that. I guess the styrene I used was too thin. So… At my "earliest convenience", it looks like I’ll be re-doing that. I’ll definitely be using thicker styrene.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: