Gaza-C: Unexpected Dimensions

Okay… I need to rewind a moment to Thursday evening, when I was really getting started on painting the Gaza-C for the OMACON contest.


What you see in the foreground is my paint tray, with the right leg next to it. Although it’s a bad quality photograph, it does show off the various shades evident throughout the red.

When I put the red paint in the paint tray to hand-paint the Gaza-C, I didn’t pick a very clean paint tray. Not because I didn’t have one. Just because I’m lazy, and I didn’t realize how badly the red was going to overlap with (dry) paints that I’d already been using in that section of the paint tray. The result was an effect I’d been hearing about recently, but only achieved unintentionally. As I mixed the red paint with alcohol (and my own body with coffee), the red paint overlapped a light green, a yellow, and a bit of dark gray that I had previously mixed in that tray. Because of this, when the paint was applied to the model, there were darker areas throughout it. Here’s the kicker: The effect looked great. I didn’t have any desire whatsoever to go back and "fix" it.

Throughout all the red parts of the Gaza-C, there are dark patches that blend very nicely into the rest of it. Almost an oil-blend effect, but more subtle. It’s probably a little difficult to pick out in these photos, but I will get some better ones taken after I do a little more tweaking on the Gaza-C and its display base. The darker patches, blended as they were, gave the whole thing a little more depth and dimension, and a little more realism(?) than would have been present otherwise. They made a decent looking piece into (in my opinion) a good looking piece. And, based on feedback I received at the contest, I’m not alone in that sentiment.

The staff I did talk to at the contest loved the Gaza-C; asking about it and expressing disbelief when I told them that the entire thing was hand-painted. Hopefully, with some minor enhancements, it’ll be a strong competitor at another competition down the road.

Regardless, getting it to this point has opened up a whole new paint technique I’d been anxious to figure out and ended up stumbling over. In other words, if it were a snake, it would have bit me. I’m looking forward to trying this out in a more controlled manner down the road.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: