Heinrich All-Around Progress

Thanks to everyone for the nice words about my beautiful baby girl. They’re very appreciated–and I’m a very lucky man. That’s why I’m doing these builds in the wee hours of the night: So I can treasure every moment I have with my family.
 
… And on to the update for today. I did some work on the gun last night. No more construction, just paint:

Following Skinnybob‘s advice, I added some slight color variations to the thing. First, the whole gun was (and is) painted in Tamiya Sea Blue, which isn’t black, but would probably fool most folks until they get right up to it. I started off by doing some touch-ups of areas I hurried over last night. Then, I painted the clip and the part near the pistol-grip in flat black. It doesn’t show up very well in the photo, but there is a slightly darker color to it. And then, because I had the words "barrel" and "purplish hue" stuck in my head, I mixed up about four different colors to end up with a semi-glossy, semi-metallic, slightly purplish color which I used on the barrel. I liked it so much, I went back and painted the other gun barrel (the Gundam-ish sniper rifle) with it. In fact, I wish I had some more items handy to paint in that color, as I really like the effect–and I mixed up way too much of it. I like the idea of adding some wood color to it, but in that scale, I don’t think I could pull it off convincingly. If I could, maybe I’d get one of those 1/48 biplane kits finished. So, it remains "cold steel" Finally, I did a (really sloppy) wash using gun metal. I need to clean it up a bit, but I like where it’s going. It’s just about done.

Next, I did some work on the Heinrich torso:

I’m still getting used to using the Mr. Surfacer 500 to create a cast texture. It just didn’t look right. So, in addition to using the Mr. Surfacer (and after it had dried), I dabbed on un-thinned Neutral Gray to give it some additional cast texture. Now, I’m a little more satisfied with it, but still not completely thrilled with the texture. I may try to do some more work on it. In fact, I probably will. At least the engine doesn’t look too bad. I like the one on the other Heinrich build better, but I can live with this one. This guy’s supposed to be cobbled together on the front lines using whatever parts are available, so I think the look works.

Finally, I hacked up a Tamiya Pit Crew figure:

First, I made a very ugly sketch of how I thought he probably should be standing, and then I just tried to reproduce that with the torso, hands, and some 1/16" copper rod. This is the most intensive "sculpting" process I’ve ever tried to take on, so the results could be a little bit shaky. So far, so good. I think I’m going to have to sculpt the rest of him–not relying on any of the pit crew parts, and build it all around that copper rod. At least the sketch gives an idea where I’m going with the whole thing.


I’m not sure what the next step is going to be. With luck, I’ll probably start working on the legs for the Heinrich (to give him a leg to stand on, so to speak). I’ll also move forward on the pit crew figure, trying to figure out how to sculpt the lower half of his body and not have it look completely awful. I’d like to come up with something cool for the guy to wear, but we’ll see how that shakes out.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: