Heinrich–Now With A Leg To Stand On

I watched "Speed Racer" on DVD last night. After the way it had bombed in the theaters, I was a little worried if it would be any good. It was pretty good, actually. Lots of action, vibrant-trippy colors, and just kind of neat. Definitely suitable for all ages.

I refuse to quit! Progress has been very slow. I really only have time to be able to work on this after 10:00 p.m., so it seems like I do one small thing, and then fall asleep in the recliner for four hours. So, progress has been extra-slow. There has been some progress, however…

My Heinrich now has a leg (and another leg) to stand on! I didn’t take very good pictures, but I’ll try to give some detail on what I did. For the upper legs, I just took square styrene tube and cut it at an angle. Into the top of this square tube, I inserted some round tube–to make it easier to position into the torso. On the back of the square tube, I ran some half-round up vertically. On the sides of the square tube, I scribed in a vertical line and used small styrene bits to simulate latches. I’m not thrilled with the way this turned out, but it will mostly be covered by skirt armor anyways.

No work on the knees as of yet–as I’m not sure what I’m going to use for "kneecap armor".

The lower legs were a bit more tricky. I took styrene tube, cut it to length, and then cut it in half–length-wise. I then took one half and sanded the length-wise edge for a bit until it had a slight angle. This also made it slightly smaller–in diameter–than the original piece, so there’s a small (intentional) gap in the thickness where the halves meet. I then added some styrene bits to simulate latches. The look isn’t that far off from the way the Heinrich/PKA lower legs look, so I’m pleased there.


EDIT: I forgot to add that I took a hint from FichtenFoo and filled the leg pieces with resin. I then pinned them with 1/16" wire. Worked like a charm!

The feet were one of the larger stumbling blocks (no pun intended) for this whole mess. I looked at 1/48 aircraft pontoons, drop tanks, Gundam bits, all forms and shapes of styrene, and couldn’t find anything that I liked as a foundation for the feet. So… In the end, I took some Milliput and sculpted them by hand. I used the inside curve of a fake fingernail to help shape the front of the foot, but–aside from that–it was a freehand sculpt. The end-product isn’t too shabby. I’m going to try to come up with something better in the future, but these are results I can live with. When that picture was taken (last night), I hadn’t done anything other than let the Milliput cure. After that picture was taken, I applied Squadron putty to each foot, let it dry, and sanded them smooth. I’m probably going to add a small piece of styrene to the inside of each foot (as they appear on the PKA), but I think they’re essentially done, other than that.

So, still on my "to-do" list for the legs are kneecap armor, ankle armor, rear ankle armor, and then Milliput joints. Then I can maybe start painting and try to put the whole thing together. I think October 1 is still a do-able deadline. I’m not sure if I can have the base done by then, too, but it’s something to shoot for.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: