Progress & Feedback On the P.K.A.F.S.

Received some feedback on the current level of progress:
Maschinen Krueger: Ma.kenstein SAFS. The bolt on plates look interesting but could benefit from being another color.

Anything I say will end up being more work for you, which you don’t need at this point.  

I agree about being a different color. I’d originally tried painting the SAFS portion of it in a lighter shade of green and the bolt-on panels in a dark gray. Heck, I even put markings on it (relevant photo). The intention was to come back over eveything with medium gray and have the colors and markings underneath bleed through. While there may be a way that this can be done with hand-painting, I couldn’t come up with anything that didn’t look like a very bad case of poor modeling brush strokes. So… Everything was covered completely in the medium gray. Depending on the time available (which is quickly slipping away), I may try to scratch away some of the top paint to get to what’s underneath. If I ever move on to using an airbrush, I’ll revisit this "captured suit" idea again to try out that idea for the markings.
Skinnybob: What were you using for the bolted on armored plates … in particular the one on the front of the torso – spoons? Ping-pong balls?
Lin.K.: bolt on armor plates look great, not sure I followed how you did it?
All the bolt-on panels were made from a ping pong ball. I was hoping the contour would be a close match, and it was. On the front of the torso, I did have to squeeze it down a bit, while waiting for the CA glue to dry, but it worked well. And I don’t know about anyone else’s experience, but CA is the only type of glue I’ve found to work on ping pong balls (although I’m sure a two-part epoxy would probably do the trick, as well). The bolt-heads were just pieces of Plastruct hexagonal styrene rod. I stole that idea from FichtenFoo’s Dampfrich build, and it really works. They’re probably too big/thick to be truly "realistic", but I think they look right on a scale model.
Lin.K.: The rear gubbin is a nice touch too. Hmmm, tanks parts!
Thanks! That actually came from the same 1/12 Tamiya motorcycle that I’ve been pulling parts off for a while now. I may have to get another motorcycle kit soon, as I think I’ve taken most of the good parts from this one already!  

As for the progress last night… Well… It was somewhat lacking. I worked my "professional"(?) job from 7:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m., worked my part-time job from 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., came home, did a couple small things, and then fell asleep till 4:30 a.m. this morning–at which point I started in on the model again. So… No photos, but I did get some things done.

First off, the kit is now standing on its own–although slightly ass-heavy. I still have the skirts to add, but at least he has a leg to stand on–or two. In order to get to that point, I added the knee covers (which, like the scratch-built Heinrich, was a bit of a pain) and ankle covers (side and rear).

Tonight, I think it’s pretty clear what I still have to do (and that’s after working till at least 9:30 p.m. again): Finish the model, stick it on a display base. For the base, I’m planning on heavily referencing the "Cobblestone & Base" section of this OOB build (scroll down about 3/4 of the page to get to that section). Check out the link–the guy takes the definition of OOB to an entirely different level.

So that’s where it’s at, and that’s where it’s going. Hopefully, I’ll have some finished pictures up sometime next week–if I’m not too busy catching up on sleep.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: