Speeder Bike: Finished

Friday night and Saturday morning, I pushed hard and finished the Speeder Bike project. It didn’t turn out exactly as I envisioned, but I’m pretty pleased with the results. 

I may come back to it and clean up a few things… but probably not. We’ll see how it goes. I’m pretty pleased, overall, with how it turned out. I was able to mount him to the base by only his left foot, using a 1/16″ brass rod in there to help support the weight. The front end is dipped down a little more than I’d planned–thus I may come back and work on the base. I think it works with the “at-rest” pose okay, though. The paint’s not perfect, but it’s good enough where I can walk away from it with a bad taste in my mouth.

For the base, I just dyed a $0.99 wooden base using colored ink. The material on the base is Celluclay. I drilled about a half-dozen quarter inch holes in the top of the base to give the Celluclay something to grip to keep it from shrinking up as it dried.

Here’s the pictures:

Read more of this post

Advertisements

It All Started So Simple: The Speeder Bike Project

The original “Star Wars” trilogy has fueled my imagination since I saw the first movie with my father clear back in 1977. It gave us so many iconic ships and vehicles. One of those was the Imperial Speeder Bike from “Return of the Jedi”. This little scratch-build project was inspired by that, but not intended to be an outright copy. Its beginnings were humble enough: the lower leg portion of a Bandai Master Grade RGM-79:

Read more of this post

Egg-Cracker 1.5: Started & Finished

During the last three days, I cranked out another “Egg-Cracker” during my breaks. This was more of a practice for the other one I’m working on than a complete effort unto itself. So I tried a few things, and noted that some ideas worked beyond expectations. Not really much more to say than that.

The metallic parts is exactly that: Metal HVAC tape. The “engine” and lone headligh were scraps from the inside of an old computer mouse. And the painting was, once again, done with five different shades of paint using a Testors 3/0 brush. It was a challenge. The results were okay, but I like the first one better. Here you go:

Egg-Cracker 2 Underway

I had too much fun on that first Egg-Cracker, so I’m going to try to repeat that (and, in all probability, make myself hate it) by building one at home on the workbench. This time, however, I’m using a 1/76 Maschinen Krieger “Nutrocker” as a constant reference. That’s right. I’m going to try to do this somewhat semi-accurately.

Read more of this post

Egg-Cracker: Complete

Well, my little workplace break project is complete. Now I’ll have to find something new to occupy my breaktimes.

To recap, I made this in the office, on my breaks, over the course of less than a week. Built from a plastic Easter egg, styrene, wire, metal tape, plastic bits, brass bits, a pin, and a paper clip. Tools used were limited to an Xacto knife, a 3/0 paint brush, CA glue, a sanding stick, and scissors. I could take it home and polish the look up a lot more, but that kind-of defeats the purpose, doesn’t it?

Read more of this post

Cracking An Egg…

I’ve admired the design of the Maschinen Krieger “Nutrocker”/”Nutcracker”, as well as the profile-similar “Sand Stalker” for years now. In fact, I even built a 1/76 Nutrocker a few years back.

In learning to “do more with less” (and noticing plastic Easter eggs in various places lately), it occurred to me that a half an Easter egg looks somewhat similar to the hull of the Nutrocker–it’s just a lot smaller.

So, while killing time on a phone call at the office the other day, I cut an Easter egg in half. Then I tried in vain to even the edges. Then, giving up on that, I started using CA glue to attach plastic strips to the outside of the egg. That also failed until I took a sanding stick to the surface of the egg–giving the glue something to grab on to.

Then I added a bent up paperclip for a front bumper. And, as I worked through the afternoon at that job, and then through the evening at one of my part-time jobs, I kept thinking of bits and pieces I could add on to make it better. I decided that I’d put together some bits and pieces from the spares bin and bring them in to work the next day to continue my hodge-podge-assembly.

At home, I grabbed some metal tape, various bits of Evergreen styrene, some wire, some bits from a tank kit, some bits from a ship kit, some bits from some sci-fi kits, some wire, some photo-etch, and some brass.

And then I stuck them all together. Considering the tools I had to work with were only the CA glue, an Xacto knife, a multi-tool, and scissors, the results are amateur, but I’m happy with them. I know I could have made this look a little better if I’d been doing this at home on the workbench, but that’s the point: I didn’t do this at home on the workbench. I did it over several lunch breaks. It’s not perfect. Far from it. But it’s coming along, and it’s really not too bad. Judge for yourself:

Thanks for taking the time to look and read.

Progress On a Build: “der Funker” (“the radio operator”)

Haven’t had an opportunity to post in a bit, but I’m still making slow progress. Here’s the latest picture (but not the latest progress):

After that was taken, I painted the inside in dark gray, glued the pilot in, and then glued the whole thing (accidentally) to my workbench. Ah… progress.